A while back, I have provided you with some insights on how to make money by selling ad spaces. If you are one of those that have implemented it or have been doing it already, you should know that one important action is to develop and/or follow up on your existing relationship with your advertisers (or clients).
So, you have been selling ad spaces directly to advertisers or via an ad network, such as AdvertiseSpace or BuySellAds. Usually, if you are only selling direct, your relationship or interaction with that advertiser (your client), would be stronger. However, what if you are selling ad spaces via ad networks? What do you do when you receive that email saying, congrats, an ad zone has been purchased? Do you jump up and down and say over and over, yay 🙂 Do you immediately create another ad zone (maybe, lol)? You do nothing? Or, do you take the time and visit the advertisers website, browse around, look for their contact information and finally send them at the very least an email saying thank you?
I am not going to speculate on what you do or what you do not do, but I believe that if you interact with your advertiser, it will greatly enhance your relationship with them and open other or ongoing opportunities in the future.
So whenever possible, here ares some few pointers, in case you are not yet doing so:
- Send them a thank you email. Tell them that you hope they achieve the results they are looking for.
- Leave a door open for them to let you know what exactly are they looking for. Is it conversion, brand awareness, etc.? Maybe if they tell you, you can do something to help them achieve their results.
- Usually when someone purchases an ad space, they do so for 30 days. Somewhere in between, send them stats (when possible) or ask them in a follow-up email, if they are satisfied with the results so far. If warranted and with great discretion, give your honest opinion about their creative, their landing pages, etc. Maybe there is something both of you can work out to improve results. As I said, interact.
- Provide additional services. This is a good moment to offer something else that you may find of value for them. If they are satisfied, they will at least hear what you have to offer.
- At the end of the campaign, ask for their feedback (prices, results, etc.), ask them if they would advertise again on your website and if not, what are their suggestions to make them do so. Depending on their response, offer them an extra XX days for free. Sometimes all it takes is just a little something, you never know.
And anything else that you feel could enhance your relationship with your advertisers. The above are just some examples of which I believe that at a minimum you should be doing. These pointers are also totally applicable for any services that you offer. Make it a habit to acknowledge your feedback to your advertisers and if you do not receive a reply, no problem, at least you have done your part :).
I would be very interested to know what you are doing in such cases. Do you have anything to add on the list above (hopefully you do)? Do you even think that this is important, relevant? Thanks!