Home > Internet Marketing > 6 Ways to Write an Almost Perfect E-mail Pitch That Gets a Quick Response

6 Ways to Write an Almost Perfect E-mail Pitch That Gets a Quick Response

by Kelvon Yeezy

guest post email pitch

If you’ve been looking for tactics to generate massive amount of traffic to your blog, chances are that you’ve stumbled upon guest blogging on popular blogs.

It’s undeniable! Guest blogging is fruitful – and can bring you a lot of benefits. Jon Morrow, Bamidele Onibalusi, Leo Babauta and Danny Inn have proven how you can harness the power of guest blogging with the aim of building a popular blog and a thriving audience.

I know you’ve spent countless hours on writing, editing and proofreading your masterpiece of work, conceptualizing and unifying ideas in order to come up with an irresistible post. Yet, a doubt still arouse on whether or not the post you crafted was appealing enough to resonate with a large community.

Although you cast doubt on your writing, I suppose nothing encumbered you from sending the post to a blogger. After two days, you didn’t get a response. One week later, the blogger still hadn’t replied to you. After much anticipation, you were forced to assume that the blogger was a busy individual and thus would reply when finding time. Two weeks later, you realized that your previous notion proved to be incorrect and most likely you were just ignored. Unfortunately, your e-mail pitch ended up in the “unwanted” deleted or unread e-mails section. In this case, you’ve to admit he’ll never reply you back.

I know it’s frustrating—you’ve crafted a very interesting post but when it comes to getting in touch with bloggers to publish your post—you eventually muck up. Now, let’s dive into 6 ways to write an efficacious e-mail pitch that gets a quick response and increases reply success rate.

1. Use a convenient e-mail address

It’s not recommended to use a free e-mail address when contacting a popular blogger. Instead, use your domain name e-mail address for bloggers to have a serious perspective towards the sender. Hotmail, Gmail and Yahoo accounts are among a variety of limited alternatives if you haven’t got a domain name relevant to the subject. If you intend to convey an impression that defines how serious you are, your e-mail address ought to match with your real name.

2. Get to know them first

Cinch procedures are overlooked by many. Interaction with their audience, following their tweets, commenting wisely on their blogs and subscribing to their e-mail lists are amongst series of actions you should follow to make them notice who you really are. Popular bloggers are flooded with bunches of e-mails, they give priority to whom they know when replying to e-mails. You’ve the cards stacked against you—if you are unknown.

3. Don’t be too polite

Bloggers love when you address by their first names. It’s easy for them to notice that you’ve been following their trends for quite long. When you address by names like “Mr., Ms., Guru”, you are breaking the interpersonal barrier and reducing the odds of getting replied. Writing e-mails politely expresses a sense of hierarchical inferiority, instead, treat them as friends; a simple “Hi (First Name)” is more appealing than “Mr. (First Name)”.

4. Introduce yourself briefly

The introduction of yourself—should be a short sentence. Stating where you come from, how you position yourself in the blogosphere and your most successful guest post (if you’ve one) is by far apropos to have it included in your e-mail. Attaching a link of your most popular guest post gives an idea of what you’ve been producing on the web and what they can expect from you.

5. Elucidate the benefits of your post

It’s all about facts and opportunism! When reaching out a popular blog, the help you need is not going to benefit him as much as it’ll benefit you. Therefore, positioning yourself as an expert and collaborating with an attitude that demonstrates unselfishness, is another effective approach to stimulate a quick response. For instance, you wrote a post about a subject that hasn’t been covered in his blog yet, on the e-mail you may emphasize on how useful the post will be to his community.

6. Make it simple, short—and straight to the point

Lack of simplicity on e-mail pitches leads to rejection. If you keep writing boring stories about yourself and forget that your objective is to convince the blogger to share the post with his community—it’ll not yield desired results. The reason why I highlight the 3 S’s (simple, short and straight) is because popular bloggers are freaking busy, they receive hundreds of e-mails per day and have no time to read them all. Writing an irresistible guest post is one thing; writing e-mail pitches that get response is another “art” that every blogger should master.

You can write the most impressive guest post on earth, but if you can’t communicate with bloggers the right way, all your efforts are worthless and there is not point to keep wasting your precious time on doing things that take you nowhere.

The final note, try sending different e-mail pitches to distinct bloggers—see what works best for you and please share with us some good results.

Kelvon Roy is an SEO consultant who specializes in website rankings, traffic generation and online conversions. You can follow his latest posts on Spicy Value

Kelvon has written 2 articles at iBlogzone.com

November 20, 2012 at 12:59 pm

A good email is an email that goes straight to the point. If you are talking about tips to improve conversion, people want to see the tips immediately. Fluffing around will make them crazy and boring. If I meet a lengthy email, I will skip immediately. πŸ™‚

Kelvon Yeezy

November 22, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Avoid rambling is one of the keys to write a great email pitch. Have a nice day!

November 20, 2012 at 5:08 pm

I hate getting emails that are 3 pages long. I don’t know about everyone else but I’m not going to take my time reading it. Make is short and straight to the point and you will get a lot more people actually taking their time to read it.

Kelvon Yeezy

November 22, 2012 at 12:28 pm

I totally agree with you, Tanya. A 3 pages e-mail is considered too long and I guess the sender warden off the point somewhat.

5 Rugholm November 20, 2012 at 7:22 pm

Hi Kelvon.
Good points you make. When I contact a blogger for becoming a guest poster I usually also include some links to other posts I made and refer on how I used some of the advice they give on their blog.

Kelvon Yeezy

November 22, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Including your previous guest post is great approach. It bolsters your credibility!

November 21, 2012 at 5:59 am

Importance of guest posting has increased, and that’s why everybody is trying out to acquire quality links. But to publish your guest post it’s important to get approval from blog owner.

Before asking for any guest posting, you should initially try to show them you actually exists. I mean follow blog owners on social networking sites and share their posts and build relationship.

After following them for some time, if you send them a request for guest posting.. they would consider it seriously and you could get approval from them.

Kelvon Yeezy

November 22, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Thanks for the tips, Aasma. They surely increase the success rate of having a guest post approved. πŸ™‚

November 21, 2012 at 6:11 am

I totally agree with you on this point that guest blogging has become one of the most potent technique to drive traffic towards your post. I also think that writing lengthy emails is just a plain wastage of time after who has got time to read them? The tips that you have mentioned are to the point and I believe if followed people will be actually surprised on how good response they get.

Kelvon Yeezy

November 22, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Thanks for your comment. πŸ™‚ I hope you’ll get some good results when applying them.

November 21, 2012 at 2:13 pm

That’s a very nice share. But accepting guest post is also a risk now a days after Panda effect.

Kelvon Yeezy

November 22, 2012 at 12:35 pm

It depends on the reaction of your readers and the bloggers who are guest posting in your blog as well. Google has some positive eyes towards quality guest blogging.
Have a great day!

13 Patrik November 21, 2012 at 6:20 pm

There are no short cuts to building your own image at the guest posting sites. This post points at all the necessary things that your introduction email should have.

Kelvon Yeezy

November 22, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Thanks for the support Patrik.
A good day to you!

November 21, 2012 at 8:22 pm

I’m weak in this area, because I never take serious about the power of email

Kelvon Yeezy

November 22, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Then you should strengthen your self in this fields. It comes in handy when contacting influential people.

17 Suresh Khanal November 22, 2012 at 5:03 am

Hi Kelvon,
Agreed with you. In fact blogging is the awesome sphere where the age, nationality and the position does not count much – utopia! If you have good idea to share you are the one to hold arena. A 19 year blogger gets equal ground to play with a seasoned blogger.

“Don’t be too polite” strikes me. I’ve noticed most bloggers from India tend to do this mistake whenever contacting foreign bloggers.

Kelvon Yeezy

November 22, 2012 at 12:38 pm

I’m glad to know that the post strikes you! πŸ™‚

November 22, 2012 at 8:00 am

Nice tips Kelvon! Among these, having a reliable email address the number one thing for an email pitch.

Kelvon Yeezy

November 22, 2012 at 12:39 pm

I totally agree with you Jane. Thanks for dropping your comment.

November 23, 2012 at 5:38 am

Excellent post. This really made me think more thoroughly about the timing of mailers. I completely agree that timing is everything. Thanks so much for these useful tips.

Deni Saputra

November 23, 2012 at 5:52 am

Ye yep!
Yeezy, you know, your post is really itended to me! πŸ˜€
Many thanks for useful points!

23 Rae November 26, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Great insight, especially point number 2. You’re far more likely to have your email read if you are a ‘known’ but even that is risky in a pro-blogger’s overflowing inbox!
Often if you are providing regular, helpful and compelling comments you’ll be offered an invite to write – if that happens you’ve struck gold!

24 Jane January 16, 2013 at 8:51 am

Just realised – with reference to my above comment, breaking the inter-personal barrier is equally important too. Personally speaking, I have a smile, when I start reading a mail which says ‘Hi Jane’ vis-a-vis ‘Dear Ms. Jane’. Sounds a lil’ older! πŸ˜‰