Hi everyone! Hope you all had a great week. So, what does Panda+EMD+Penguin result to? Electronic Mass Destruction on search rankings? Actually, not quite, but close enough. In a little over a week, the so called “Google dance” strikes again. Google has confirmed that a Panda Update (not a refresh) was rolled out, immediately followed by the EMD (exact match domains filtering) and yesterday, a Penguin refresh. That’s a lot of “cleaning up” in a short period of time. Anyway, I won’t be repeating more stuff about this issue as there are really some great information out there that discusses about them (including the big list of algorithm changes released on August and September). If you are interested and want to know more, read some of the articles as highlighted on the SEO/Inbound Marketing section below.
As for QDF (Query that Deserves Freshness), Matt Cutts has published a video that clarifies a bit more about “content freshness” and its importance as a ranking factor. Since some of you may probably not fully understand the “need for having fresh content”, I highly recommend watching the video (below). As he points out, QDF is just among the 200+ factors Google applies for rankings. To combat all the Google Pandas, Penguins and EMD, start by applying the best SEO practices, and you should be good to go 🙂
On a different front, Windows 8 has now an official launch date, that being on October 26. Paul Allen (Microsoft co-founder), in his blog post, shares some of his views (positive and negative) about the new OS and also provides some “cool” tips on how to overcome the confusing “bimodal interface”.
You may also be interested in Microsoft’s recent article about “Updating our built-in apps for Windows 8“. How about you? Are you excited about the new Windows 8?
BTW and just a heads up, have you heard about Google’s new product, called “Google Tag Manager“? Not sure what to make of it yet, but it is suppose to be a promising tool for marketers. I’m on it!
As usual, in no particular order:
Content Marketing/Small Business Bites
- The Art of Being Interesting
- 10 Words Every Successful Blogger Needs to Know
- Pay each other Through Your Skills and Services – QuickHaggle (interesting concept?)
- Save Time When Dealing With Link Building Companies Trying to Spam You
- How To Write Your Most Popular Blog Post
- The Exact Match Domain Playbook: A Guide and Best Practices for EMDs
- Google Panda Update 20 Released, 2.4% Of English Queries Impacted
- EMD Update and the SEOs’ reactions
- Keyword Research in 15 Minutes or Less
- Author Rank: Dominate The Search Engines And Become An Authority In Your Niche
Social Web/Other Roundups and Cool Stuff
- 50+ Creative Twitter Headers for Your Inspiration
- The 10 Secrets That Make Networking Easy, Fun and Ridiculously Effective
- Google +1’s Confirmed To Have “No Direct” Impact On Rankings
- LinkedIn Embraces Publishing: This Week in Social Media
Is freshness an important signal for all sites?
That’s it! Enjoy and have a great weekend.