It has been well documented that stress is bad for your health. Did you know that stress can also provide harm to your business as well as your health? When you get stressed out, hormones are sent through your body that affects your brain function, most importantly your memory. One of these hormones released is cortisol which when released in excess prevents the brain from generating memories and accessing old memories. This can have a profound effect on your performance in the workplace.
Job stress causes U.S. companies nearly $300 billion from employee turnover, absenteeism, and loss of productivity. EnMast has outlined the cost of stress on your business and several of the factors that contribute towards this. Some of the more interesting points are as follows:
- Work causes stress for over 83% of American’s. An estimated 40% of workers say they are unproductive because of stress.
- Every year stress causes an estimated $300 billion for U.S. businesses.
- Stress often harms relationships, creativity and focus in the workplace.
- Stress has shown to reduce focus and memory by 25%.
- Common workplace stressors include, low pay, to heavy of workload, long hours, lack of participating in decision making and job insecurity among other factors.
For more information on workplace stress and some suggestions on how to solve them, checkout the infograhpic below.