Home > SpeedLink Weekly > Speedlink V31/2011, FaceBook, SEO, Online Business, Klout

Speedlink V31/2011, FaceBook, SEO, Online Business, Klout

speedlink 31

HI everyone! Hope you had a great week. Nothing much to report on my end as I have been very busy doing some experiments, along with testing Hesham’s forthcoming launch of ProductSkin. Be on the look out as it will be available, very, very soon 🙂

On the other side of the world, it seems that the Germans have taken (been taking) an aggressive stance towards FaceBook, due to privacy issues. Reports are saying that any “website” that uses the “like” button must take it down until a given date or face the possibility of being fined 50K Euros (approx. $72K). Whether this will actually come into effect, still remains to be seen, but pretty soon, Germans will no longer be able to “like” anything, at least through FaceBook. I guess they will be allowed to “+1”, lol. Anyway, what do you think of this move? Will other countries follow suit?

Blogging/Business

• Why Failure Online Is Not Your Fault
  • Avoiding Overwhelm by Resisting the Urge to Lower Your Fees
  • How To Promote Products Without Pitching Anything

Social Web/Other Stuff

Is the “Panda” algorithm update affecting non-English searches?

That’s it! Enjoy and have a great week ahead.

Jane | Find All Answers

August 20, 2011 at 3:58 pm

I really loved David Risely’s post. That guy always has a strong point in every post. Thanks for the links Fran. And your shameless promo post is awesome. I followed it and have set up everything. I have also linked to it in one of my posts (commentluv link) 🙂

2 DiTesco August 23, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Hi Jane. Sharp eye on the “shameless promo” 🙂 Thanks for stopping by and for the “link luv”. Great post btw 🙂

3 Sherryl Perry August 20, 2011 at 5:14 pm

I had not heard that Germany was taking such an aggressive stance towards FaceBook. That seems drastic and a bit of an infringement to free enterprise. I hope other countries don’t follow suit.

4 DiTesco August 23, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Hi Sherryl. I agree with you on “free enterprise”, but as it s seems, Germans will go ahead and do this eventually unless FB complies with some of their conditions. If this goes through, the whole European Union could be compromised because Germany is one of the most powerful country on that side of the world. I am not that much of a FB fan, but I think this is going too far. Thanks for stopping by and sorry (again( for the late response.

Tia Peterson

August 21, 2011 at 1:52 am

Thanks again for linking to bizchickblogs in your Speedlink.

I find it a little bizarre that Germany would impose a fine on websites using the “like” button. I agree with Sherryl and hope other countries don’t follow suit. People on FB volunteer to be there. It’s not up to governments to try and reduce privacy problems; it’s up to the people to not be on sites where they feel their privacy might be violated.

That piece of news makes me a little angry.

6 DiTesco August 23, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Hi Tia, welcome. I agree with you that people are the ones that volunteer to be on FB. I think that this is Germany0s way of “forcing” FB to comply with some of the “privacy policy” restrictions that they want to see included in their services. We’ll see how this goes. Thanks for dropping by and all the best. Sorry if I was a tad late to reply 🙂

7 Ana | how to build a list August 21, 2011 at 9:22 am

I agree that it’s a drastic move from the Germans. Some great posts this week, thanks for sharing, Francisco!

8 DiTesco August 23, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Hi Ana.. You are welcome. Hope you find some of the articles useful and informative. All the best

Paul Profitt

August 21, 2011 at 1:10 pm

By some strange coincidence. I recently removed the like button from my blog. I found it incompatible with Pretty Link Pro. Maybe Germany knows something we don’t

10 DiTesco August 23, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Hi Paul.. Hmmm, maybe there is something there about the Germans that we don’t know about.. remains to be seen 🙂 Thanks for stopping by

Brian D. Hawkins

August 21, 2011 at 7:36 pm

Hi Francisco, it’s been a while. I wouldn’t be too surprised to hear something like that somewhere like China but Germany? That is pretty bad. Government politics rarely do anything lately without violating someone’s rights. Just like governments working on procedures, including the US, for shutting down the net in what they determine an emergency. I’m not a conspiracy theorist but there sure are some very disturbing things like that hitting the news lately.

12 DiTesco August 23, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Hi Brian. I agree.. Sometimes it makes us wonder if “any” of these is nothing but “attempts” to tarnish the reputation of a “brand”. Won’t be surprised if there has something more into it.. we’ll see

Wez Bailey

August 21, 2011 at 8:57 pm

Oh I didn’t know about the Germans. Why are they even taking that move? I mean what’s so wrong about the like button? :S Isn’t that something anti-democratic? I bet even countries like Iraq have a like button 😉

Bryce Christiansen

August 22, 2011 at 5:32 pm

That’s interesting to hear.

All I knew about the Panda update before reading your blog was that it effected low quality content farms, I had no idea how it was affecting things internationally.

Thanks for the information.

Hanni

August 23, 2011 at 9:52 am

I guess this issue is something to look forward because I really don’t have idea why Germany will do this act to Facebook. Hope to read more about this post subject.

Hesham

August 23, 2011 at 11:43 pm

Nice stuff, I’ve enjoyed the “Why Failure Online Is Not Your Fault” post, catchy title though!