Home > SpeedLink Weekly > Speedlink V30/2011, Online Marketing, SEO, Social Media, Authorship Markup

Speedlink V30/2011, Online Marketing, SEO, Social Media, Authorship Markup

speedlink 30

Hello everyone. Hope you had a productive week and getting ready (if you are not already) to enjoy your weekend. This week has been fairly busy for me and I am almost sure that i have missed some important and interesting stuff out there. Aside from the “apparent” battle between G+ and FB, launching games and all that, one noteworthy news from the sphere is the consistent “push” of Google asking people writing web content to start using authorship markup. Google is looking to use this markup as a SEO ranking signal, so it might be interesting for you to take note of that. To make the use of this super easy, Google has provided an alternative and “non-complicated” way of using this, simply adding a hyperlink to your Google profile (see video below). This is particularly interesting if you do a lot of guest posting.

Blogging/Business

Social Web

Authorship markup using URL parameters

Is there a limit to how many 301 (Permanent) redirects I can do on a site?

That’s it. Enjoy and have a great week ahead.

Bishwajeet @Comptalks

August 13, 2011 at 8:30 pm

Nice compilations of links and some of them are pretty useful to bloggers like me.

2 DiTesco August 17, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Thanks and all the best. Sorry for the late response

3 Ray August 14, 2011 at 2:54 am

Watched the videos. The authorship markup using url parameters sounds easy, but after watching the video and checking the more details link it seems a little confusing. The 301 permanent redirects is a bit easier to follow and understand. I never tried multiple redirects chained together, but I do have a few 301’s I use. I think Matt Cutts does a pretty decent job with his video tutorials.

4 DiTesco August 17, 2011 at 8:25 pm

Hi Ray. Sorry for the late response. I hear you on the “authorship” part being somewhat confusing. Hence the reason why it prompted me to dig into it a bit further 🙂

As for the chained 301s, come to think of it, it really does not make that much sense. Anyway, like you I have not done it before. Max is one redirect and that’s it. Anyway, I am thinking of something about 301s that might be a good way to help for SEO 🙂 Brainstorming on it yet 🙂

Jane | Find All Answers

August 14, 2011 at 5:27 pm

Loved the Copyblogger and Basicblogtips posts 🙂 Thanks for the nice compilation and the awesome Matt videos. Keep rocking 😉

6 DiTesco August 17, 2011 at 8:26 pm

You are welcome Jane. I also agree with your choices 😉 Have a great week ahead.. sorry for responding a tad late

Ileane

August 14, 2011 at 9:43 pm

Hi DiTesco, Thanks for sharing one of my posts in your speedlink! I appreciate that. 🙂

I’m wondering when a nice WordPress plugin will solve all of this authorship stuff, how about you? This is especially confusing for me, since I have so many guest bloggers and I want to make sure they are getting proper credit, but I’m not sure this feature is intended to work that way. I’m referring to how at the end of the video, they mention that the Google Profile should link back to the source.

I’m scratching my head right now. LOL!

8 DiTesco August 15, 2011 at 1:08 pm

Hi Ileane. I understand what you mean about scratching your head regarding the authorship markup. This is just the easier way but not as effective. There is a plugin that partially solves this problem and with a little tweak all works well. You can even get yourself verified by Google, sort of like a webmaster tools. So I guess that you just gave me another post idea 🙂 Will probably make a small tutorial about this.

9 RonLeyba August 15, 2011 at 5:45 am

The authorship markup is one of my favorite ever since its launched or addition to the google serp. Still, Haven’t implemented it though at my blog.

10 DiTesco August 17, 2011 at 8:29 pm

Hi Ron. Yeah, I was somewhat frustrated that I did not have it implemented the markup thing yet. Not that I did not want to, just could not get the thing to work 🙂 Anyway, got that solved now.. Thanks for stopping by and apologize for the late response

11 RonLeyba August 18, 2011 at 12:04 am

Oh thanks for the visit and comment at my blog.

As per the authorship, I tried it yesterday and now it works!

I tested it here:

12 John August 15, 2011 at 10:22 am

I’m pretty excited about this author markup thing… Once we have a Wordpress plugin this will get easy greasy. I am contemplating the real SEO value of this markup though.

13 DiTesco August 17, 2011 at 8:30 pm

Hi John. Sorry for responding late. Anyway, if you have not seen it yet, I just published a tutorial about the authorship markup 😉

James H

August 16, 2011 at 6:50 am

The whole Google gimmick about authorship is just for the fact that if you are with G+ you will get better SEO advantage, if you are with FB, the hits & traffic are there much not much of a SE advantage