Home > Marketing > Design Your Business Logo Cautiously

Ben Johnson is the Alliance Manager at Logoinn, a custom logo design company. He writes about the effect of design on marketing and brand identity and helps small businesses find design solutions for effective marketing.

Ben has written 3 articles at iBlogzone.com

August 12, 2010 at 2:44 pm

I agree a logo needs to be designed a professional. Having a bad design can hurt your buisness and it looks unprofessional. When I work clients, we use a graphic designer or two to design our clients logos if they need them…

2 DiTesco August 13, 2010 at 2:09 am

Yeah! I agree, I have seen local companies here that had serious identity problems due to a bad logo design. It can really hurt your image if your are not careful. Sometimes it is better to stink with a simple but powerful logo than being too fancy.. This is one of those things that I still believe that it is better to leave it to the pros to do it.

3 Ben Johnson August 13, 2010 at 4:39 am

I agree with you DT, Designing and getting different kind of concepts from different Designers is not an issue, The issue is choosing a best fit according to your company’s name and services, people connect you with your Logo.

August 12, 2010 at 3:09 pm

Your last paragraph sums it up pretty well; it’s important to get the logo right the first time, which for me would mean paying somebody to do it, but not just anybody. You need to find a designer that is willing to work with you and review his/her work as you move along through the design process.

5 DiTesco August 13, 2010 at 2:10 am

Hi Guille. That really sums it up doesn’t it. A good designer who is willing to work with you and to a certain extent someone who is willing to understand your needs.

6 Ben Johnson August 13, 2010 at 4:49 am

Ya I agree with the review thing, whenever choosing a Designer specially online Logo Design Service, Just try to use keyword “company/designer name reviews” and check for review if there is any, do not fully believe on their official testimonials and portfolio on their own websites as those could be fake, try to find some external source to re-search for the company, there are many more factors you have to curious about for choosing a right one.

August 12, 2010 at 9:34 pm

Hey DiTesco,

So odd that you wrote about this…I was just thinking recently about redesigning my logo. It’s ok, but not sure if it’s something that will grow with my business.

I rely on my business name as my brand, but definitely think if I can incorporate a killer logo, it would make for a powerful combination.

Thanks for sharing the link…really cool site!

8 DiTesco August 13, 2010 at 1:21 am

Hmmm, now what does this mean, I think you think, lol just kidding. Anyway I could not help but notice that you have a new gravatar. Ooopsss, off topic again πŸ™‚

OK, seriously now. I agree with you that if you can make yourself a “killer” logo, then that will be a powerful combination. Your logo and your business name (or slogan if you prefer) will allow for greater visibility most definitely.

BTW, the credit for this post really goes to Ben.

As usual, good to see you here. Have a nice day

9 Ben August 13, 2010 at 4:59 am

Hey Michele,
We are ready any time for your ‘Killer’ project and ready to kill your market for you πŸ™‚
And I will grab this opportunity here in reply that thank you DiTesco for providing me such a great platform to share my experiences and thoughts. I reckon Your Blog is really an informative tool for the new business startups.

10 DiTesco August 13, 2010 at 4:02 pm

You are welcome Ben. It is always great to have someone like you sharing your expertise and experience with us. BTW, do you think I also need a “killer” logo? πŸ™‚

August 13, 2010 at 4:11 pm

I will definitely be seeking you out soon! Looks like from your site you have some great quality work. Thanks Ben. P.S. I LOVE your logo. πŸ˜‰

12 Ben August 16, 2010 at 4:38 am

@ DiTesco, You already have a very nice typographic signature style Logo kind of thing, but ya if you just changed it with a proper meaning full Logo so it would’ve been look lot better, I mean your Blog will look more professional.
@ Michel ya I just visited your website, ya you really need a Logo there but content wise your website is looking really nice.

13 DiTesco August 16, 2010 at 6:55 pm

Hi Ben. Thanks for your advice. I do agree that I need a more professional looking type of logo. Stay tuned, just might the bullet real soon πŸ™‚

August 16, 2010 at 8:05 pm

I agree with the author’s article about 2 colors and making the elements meaningful. Sometimes compromising and listening to your client is a delicate balancing act. The logo on this site was launched this week:

I disagreed with the client’s idea to put a leaf under the logo because it appeared like it was floating and disconnected. I came up with a “yoga inspired” henna flower and incorporated it into the name of the company. The font size and placement was my client’s absolute choice, but I think the movement of the stem and flower that I added helped convey yoga movement as well as the colors I chose. This is my very first professional logo, any critiques welcome!

15 Ben August 18, 2010 at 4:50 am

This is a very nice Logo Linda, Henna flower giving a perfect Yoga for ladies look and feel πŸ™‚ I liked the website as well.

August 18, 2010 at 6:55 pm

Thank you! This group has been very inspirational for me!

Joseph McCullough

August 13, 2010 at 6:16 am

Always, always, always hire a professional logo designer. The goal is for your logo to never need major change. A great logo will encompass everything you do now and in the future. Take a look at Paul Rand’s logos: SO many of them are still around today. That’s brand creation.

18 Ben August 18, 2010 at 5:07 am

The guys like Paul Rand and Giambattista Bodoni are legendary founders of the art of logo design and corporate IDs, and the giant companies companies never change their original concepts of Logo, ye this is brand creation.

Dean Saliba

August 13, 2010 at 12:30 pm

I have always got my brother to do my logos for me. But now I am trying to create a brand and a name for myself I’m going to get a professional designer to do future ones.

Ching Ya

August 13, 2010 at 3:36 pm

Designer Tip: Design Your Business Logo Cautiously — http://bit.ly/cE8n6G by #FF @ditesco (Keep it Simple yet Attractive –>spot on!)

21 Josh Braaten August 13, 2010 at 3:44 pm

And make sure to get the feedback of your users/potential customers! I’m going through a change to my logo and created a post just to let my visitors pick. You’d be amazed by the insights I gained: http://bit.ly/bSDaj0

August 13, 2010 at 7:13 pm

I am not sure whether my logo is really so professional … I maybe have to think about changing it even though I like it. I agree that logos should be simply and shouldn’t contain too many colors.
Nice article man.

23 The Bad Blogger - Down & Dirty Secrets Not For Kids August 14, 2010 at 1:03 am

Well, logo design is very important, I personally think a logo not just represent you business but also represent your image, and recently I just paid a designer from Graphic Mavericks (they are the on that does the Mass Control logo for Frank Kern) to do a logo design for me, still waiting for their design to be done by next week.

24 DiTesco August 14, 2010 at 1:08 pm

At the end of the day, I am convinced that if we are trying to establish a brand or increase visibility, a business name while important, will never replace a well designed and eye catching logo. The combination of both as @Michelle mentioned is powerful and this also allow even us, small players a chance to compete with the big boys. Good to see you here and appreciate your input. Have a nice day

25 Aswani August 14, 2010 at 8:27 am

Well, awesome article. Logo Design is truly one of the most vital aspects of online branding. It is hard to imagine any company having its presence without any logo to its name. The points which you have shared above seem to be very useful and informative. Thanks a bunch for sharing it all here. Keep it up πŸ™‚

August 17, 2010 at 11:42 am

I think it also helps to have the entire color scheme on your website match the color scheme of your logo. People may or may not consciously associate the two together. Whether they realize it or not though, using the same colors and patterns throughout will add more trust to anything you are telling them or trying to sell them.

27 Ben August 18, 2010 at 5:42 am

Nice edition Kathy, yes the website and the Logo has to be in a single theme or style, it is better to assign a full design project to a designer who designs website and logos as well. I will recommend that if you are going to hire a professional designer you just give him the whole campaign because he will do that in a same theme. Going to different places for different jobs doesn’t sound professional, can give you some unrequired variations in your designs, which is not good from the branding point of view.

tracy ingram

September 9, 2010 at 4:00 pm

I think you are right about hiring a professional. You may think you know what is good but it is best to leave that to the experts. I am not so sure about only using 2 colors but I can see why you would say that, so that the person doesn’t become too distracted. This post has made me give my logo some thought. I need another for a new site and i think I am going to to go about it differently after reading this.