Hi everyone! Hope you all had a great week. This week, Google’s Inside Search has released a new feature called “How Search Works“. In this section, users can have an idea (big one) on several things related to how Google search works and it starts by telling you a story, a sort of an interactive infographic that walks you through some interesting information. Then there is a section about crawling & Indexing, Algorithms, Fighting Spam, etc. From there, you can access massive amounts of information that can help you understand what “quality rating guidelines” Google’s search team looks for. It provides you different examples of what they consider SPAM pages and how to detect them. This is really good to help you improve and apply best SEO practices. Also, they have provided a massive PDF of their “Search Quality Rating Guidelines” which is simply awesome! A must read.
User experience and SEO, do they work together or not? Rand of SEOMoz feels that they live better in harmony. Dispelling the negative myths about how UX and SEO interact is the first step in improving both the look and search results of your website.
UX Myths That Hurt SEO
Last but not least, Matt Cutts answers an interesting question this week about whether or not 301 redirects passes the same amount of PageRank “link juice” as an ordinary link. See video below.
Finally and this is somewhat a shameless promotion, I just wanted to let you know, in case you missed it, that there is a “contest” currently underway here on my blog. Check it out if you are interested to know how you can win $500 (cash), among other things.
As usual, in no particular order:
- The Ultimate Guide for Creating and Promoting Squidoo Lenses That Rank
- The Ultimate Resource for Google Analytics
- Identifying target markets for great inbound link building
- The 3 Essential Components to My Online Publishing Business: Blogging, Social, and Email
- 10 Types of Links that Really Matter and How to Get them
Social/Blogging/Small Business Bites
- How to Make a Landing Page That C.O.N.V.E.R.T.S.
- Bing Webmaster Tools Search and Social Webinar
- Social Media Curation Guide
- Why You Should Make Your Blog a Business Blog Today!
More Cool Stuff and Other Roundups
What percentage of PageRank is lost through a 301 redirect?
That’s it! Enjoy, have a great weekend!