Home > Blogging, Money, WordPress > How To Migrate From Blogger To WordPress: Part 1/3

How To Migrate From Blogger To WordPress: Part 1/3

by DiTesco on March 31, 2010

migration from blogger to wordpress

OK. Now that I have made the move from blogger.com to a self hosted platform, I will guide you through how exactly I did it and what problems (just two minor ones really) I faced during this process. But first, let me tell you why I did this move (note: this is not moving to WordPress.com, the free WordPress blogging platform).

Why I Moved To WordPress?
Commenting system and plugins were my main reasons. I was using a commenting system (not blogger.com default) that was not at all too popular amongst bloggers. You had to register or sign up with something and that ticked off many people. You should make your commenting system as easy as possible to build a conversation. Apart from that, I had serious synchronization problems with blogger.com and when I imported all of my posts and comments to WP, I lost nearly 70% of my comments. For those who have made comments here, I am very sorry for this. Not intentional and I wish I really had a way to have prevented this. Those comments were precious to me.

Plugins on blogger.com do not exist and although I found my way to solve everything I needed, it was always a timely task to perform. In WP, this task is done in a jiffy. All you need to do is find one (there is almost everything for everyone), install and activate. Really simple. Note that I am not a WP guru and I do not think I will ever be. But the simplicity of its use, coupled with a “killer” theme, makes it all a breeze:) Enough blah, blah, lol.

The Most Important Part Of The Migration
The single most important part of the process is to plan ahead. Be convinced that it is time to make the migration. Don’t do it because you read somewhere (including here) that you should use WP because of this and because of that. Use what you have read from other people to guide you and gather their opinion, that is valuable, and then decide. Think of it as moving to a new home. You look for houses or apartments, choose a good location, analyze the amount of investment required, etc. Once you move, the “back” button will not be there and you are in it for good, at least for a while.

What should you include in your plan?
1. Take a piece of blank paper for you to take down your notes.
2. Analyze carefully your blogger blog. Design, layout, your links, ads, widgets, etc.. Picture which of those current “stuff” you will want to take with you. Some you will be able to take with you, some you won’t.
3. As much as possible, copy all your meta verification tags and your Google Analytics code if you have them. It will be much easier when you have all those codes handy and simply copy and paste them later.
4. Get yourself familiarized with WordPress. While it is simple, it is not a “given”. Google for tutorials and read, then read, and then read some more. Learn how widgets works (similar to blogger’s gadgets), how to install and activate plugins, etc..
5. Register your own domain if you do not have one. There is no way around this and it is not at all expensive, unless you buy an existing one. When looking for your own domain name, be creative, be as unique as possible and remember that this will be a part of your brand. Sure, if you can stick in some keywords in there the better. But don’t bang your head against the wall to find that perfect keyword rich domain name. It probably already exist:)

NOTE: Important. This is where I encountered my first problem. If you already have a domain name and are using blogger.com’s custom domain feature, you will need to reset your blog back to its blogspot sub-domain name first, before you can import your posts and comments to WP. Importing from Blogger to WordPress function will not work if you do not do this first.  More details later.

6. Search for a theme. There are free and paid ones. Trust me, do this until you are comfortable which theme you will want to use. There are millions of free themes out there with awesome reviews. You can start with Jaypee’s blog for some good reviews of WordPress themes. Obviously, I will later and shamelessly point you to an affiliate link of my chosen theme, but that’s up for you to decide:)
7. Find the place where you will host your blog. A good hosting plan is required to complete this process and the prices can vary a lot. Just bear in mind that it is also not easy which plan you should choose, but as I said before, do your research and then decide. For the record, I have chosen Bluehost to be my partner. There are probably other plans that are more economical, but beware of what you are buying. The plan I chose cost $6,95 per month and I get “unlimited” everything. Unlimited domains, unlimited bandwidth, unlimited disk space, lots of free stuff, Adwords credit, the whole hoolahbalooh (really). Also, if you choose BlueHost as your partner, you get two things immediately for free. The first is a free domain name for life (sign up and keep hosting with them). That alone saves your $10 give or take. Second, if you do it from my link, then you get to bug me for some help, privately, until you are up and running. How cool is that? Get familiarized with BlueHost and then decide. Enough sales pitch.
8. Budget for something between $0 to $15 for domain registration (depends where you register), $50 – $90 for a hosting plan and $0 to $90 for a theme.

Whew! Not so easy is it? Well, this is what I have been trying to tell everyone since day one. Serious blogging is not an easy task, specially if you are also in it for business. Get those notes on the role. Prepare your plan, drink your coffee or whatever. While you’re doing that, it should give me some time to write the second part of this tutorial. Until then!

UPDATE: Now for part 2 of How To Move From Blogger To WordPress 2/3

54 Flares Google+ 0 Twitter 6 Facebook 4 StumbleUpon 44 54 Flares ×

1 Jaypee March 31, 2010 at 7:02 pm

Well written post my friend! It’s really different when a post is written by someone with experience. I’m sure your readers and other users would find the tips and pointers you shared here useful when they decide to switch to WordPress.

Btw, you got a little typo (WordPrees) on the link for my WordPress theme reviews. :D

2 DiTesco April 1, 2010 at 12:51 am

Thanks a lot Jaypee for those words. Coming from you has an extra “good” feeling:) You know, I am not a WP expert and all I have learned (from you) is how to apply them and put it in action. The one thing I did was to do it slowly (the plan) and moved on to the next, step by step.

3 Ileane March 31, 2010 at 9:47 pm

This is good stuff. My friend Suresh migrated from Blogger recently and lost his comments from Intense Debate. Is that what you were using? I think Disqus has the same problem though. I wonder if there is anyway the comments can be saved. I think that should be a top project for them since it seems to be the biggest drawback.
Thanks for sharing this plan.
@Ileane
.-= Ileane´s last blog ..Grand Tour of FamousBloggers.net =-.

4 DiTesco April 1, 2010 at 12:54 am

Hi Ileane. No, it was not Disqus nor Intense Debate, although I have tried them both and was not too fond of it. I was using JS-Kit (Echo) and really got mad when I had no way of regaining my comments when I did this move. So for the first reason why I left blogger.com

Dick

April 1, 2010 at 1:50 am

I have 9 WP self-hosted blogs hosted with Dreamhost and the only reason I started using that platform was because there were no free ones offered at the time. I’m not even sure if Blogger was available back in 05. Anyway I do enjoy working with WP.org and if I could handle all the updating myself it would be a no brainer over Blogger. That being said, I still maintain 15 Blogger blogs and am happy with their service (it still amazes me they dont have a Youtube plugin) and they own it! Only negative I can say about it is the blogspot.com in the URL but you can get around that too.
Heck, I have lost comments, just switching templates, don’t do that anymore! Good luck with WP, you will enjoy the benefits I think.
.-= Dick´s last blog ..Google Apps =-.

6 Jaypee April 1, 2010 at 7:10 am

I was using Blogger/Blogspot back in 2002-03 before I discovered WordPress.
.-= Jaypee´s last blog ..Yahoo Publisher Network Closes, Refers Customers to Chitika =-.

7 DiTesco April 2, 2010 at 1:31 pm

Hi Dick and don’t get me wrong. I love blogger and I myself have about 8 blogs up and running in there. If I will maintain them there or not is yet to be seen. But for my main blog (this one), I felt that there was something from blogger that was missing and that was the powerful plugins that makes you life way more easier and a real time saver. Coupled with the SEO benefits, it was a drop in the bucket to make me decide. It took me more than 4 months to bang that “hammer”, lol

Dave Doolin

April 1, 2010 at 2:30 am

I’m really glad you switched. You were the only person using JS Kit where I would comment.

So, you’re on your way again. I’m looking forward to good things.
.-= Dave Doolin´s last blog ..How to WPTouch Your Way to a Mobile Friendly Wordpress Blog =-.

9 DiTesco April 2, 2010 at 1:28 pm

Wow, that was a compliment. Thanks Dave. I know that there were many people who were really ticked off because of JS-Kit and that required extra effort to be able to leave a comment. Nice to know that you have gone that “extra mile” to leave your thoughts and opinions while it was around..

10 DiTesco April 2, 2010 at 12:49 pm

You are welcome Umbultech. The next part will definitely be dealing with the “technical part” of the process and hopefully, it will be easy to understand. Stay tuned:)

jangeronimo

April 2, 2010 at 2:18 pm

RT @ditesco: How To Migrate From Blogger To WordPress: Part 1 http://bit.ly/8YKZEG

Genius geeks

April 4, 2010 at 8:43 pm

I was looking for the tutorial to migrate from blogger to wordpress. I would love to know how you alone managed it very well. I guees part 2 will cover all the detail.

13 DiTesco April 5, 2010 at 2:51 pm

Hi there. Well, stay tuned for the easy step by step technical part which will follow this one soon, lol. Glad to have you aboard

14 Aswani April 5, 2010 at 7:52 am

Really nice and useful post. I could have tried the same but then I went against it as I was never ever a pro blogger. But I can see that most of my friends are planning to move from Blogger to Wordpress. Before I read your post, I found it to be quite complex. But not now. looks quite simple though still some technical knowledge is still required. Maybe in future, I will give it a thought. As I believe, I am still doing ok with my favorite Google Blogger.
.-= Aswani´s last blog ..One Place for Human Race ! =-.

15 DiTesco April 5, 2010 at 2:54 pm

Hi Aswani. As you know, I do not consider myself a problogger too, but this move was something I had to do. I really still think that it is not “a must” to migrate to WP, but I can tell you right now, that if you do it, I think you will find it all worthwhile.

As far as the technical knowledge required, again, I am not a tech guy. Maybe you are more technical than me, which makes it even easier to move. I will post the next step soon, and this will be the tech part of it.

16 lawmacs April 5, 2010 at 10:13 am

Well you are almost there Ditesco good to have you back bro waiting for your post

17 DiTesco April 5, 2010 at 2:55 pm

Thanks Lawmacs. Good to see you here. I am almost done with my next step. Just refining it to sound less, err, techy:)

18 Keith Davis April 6, 2010 at 5:13 pm

Hi Ditesco
Great article for anyone wanting to come on over to the dark side… Wordpress.

Plugins and a fantastic commenting system are two powerful reasons for making the change.

Notice that you have the mother of all themes… Thesis.

BTW thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment.
Much appreciated – Keith
.-= Keith Davis´s last blog ..A helping hand… =-.

19 Jeevanjacobjohn April 24, 2010 at 8:50 pm

Hi Ditesco,

I am planning to move to WordPress with Fat Cow(they have the same features as Blue Host, but for a lower price) and Your Guide is helpful to me b/c our situation is the same (I have a custom domain @ blogger.com)

Thanks for the Tutorial..I used to use Js-Kit then I switched to Intense Debate and then to Disqus.

20 Lisa B. September 24, 2010 at 9:03 pm

There’s a converter script that can be run on a Blogger download file to convert it to a WordPress file that keeps all your comments. If you haven’t deleted your Blogger blog, it might still be possible to get those comments back that you lost. Let me know if you want a link to the converter or if you’d like more information about how to do it without losing your comments.

21 Vivek Parmar February 1, 2011 at 2:27 am

that’s really a great and step-by-step guide, learning how to migrate blogger blog to wordpress and found this one useful. thanks a lot, going to check out other parts also

22 Gajanan July 22, 2011 at 2:16 pm

Hey Ditesco,

Nice post.

My two cents to be included in the above post. While migration of blog, the migration of Google Friends Connect and RSS Feedsubscribers is needed. I found a tutorial online

Hope it helps.